Handling complex insurance issues is at the heart of our practice. We regularly represent insurance regulators in their capacities as receivers of troubled insurance companies, concerning the review of significant corporate transactions, and in the examination of insurers on a single-jurisdiction or multistate basis. This has included structuring the liquidation or reorganization of insurance companies, the sale of insurance companies, blocks of business and other assets, the collection of reinsurance, the determination of claims, and litigation related to the commencement and course of insurer receiverships. We also represent insurers and large insurance agencies concerning corporate and business issues. Our insurance practice draws upon the talents of lawyers with extensive experience in representing insurance regulators, insurance companies and agents.
- The firm represents insurance regulators as receivers of multibillion dollar international insurers (property/casualty and life) as well as regional and single state insurers, risk retention groups, and similar entities involving, in some cases, the full payment of amounts due creditors.
- One of our partners has represented insurance regulators in multistate examinations (both property/casualty and life/accident) leading to regulatory settlement agreements yielding hundreds of millions of dollars in payments to consumers, claimants, and others.
- We represented an insurance regulator in the successful rehabilitation of a million-member HMO where all creditors were paid in full.
- The insurance practice group has assisted State insurance regulators dealing with federal and international authorities in both cooperative and adverse situations.
- Our firm has represented insurers and insurance regulators as receivers in successful coverage, priority and contribution disputes.
- We have helped the sponsors of employee benefit plans to successfully litigate and negotiate resolution of ERISA claims.