Michael F. O'Connell Highlights
Rackemann, Sawyer & Brewster Sponsors the 27th Annual Caritas Communities Dinner read more>>
Harvard Law School
- J.D., 1971
- B.A., summa cum laude, 1967
Bar and Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
Mr. O'Connell is Chairman of the firm's Tax Practice Group. He concentrates his practice in the areas of business, real estate, tax and financial planning for both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, partnerships and limited liability companies, individuals and corporations, and estate and gift tax planning for individuals.
- Forms and advises investment partnerships, limited liability companies and joint venture companies involved in the financing, acquisition, construction, development and syndication of commercial and residential real estate developments.
- Represents and advises closely-held and family businesses on corporate and commercial transactions and on tax planning, governance and succession matters.
- Acts as outside general counsel to public and private domestic and international not-for-profit foundations, advising them on all aspects of tax, regulatory, fund-raising, organizational and operational issues.
- Advises individuals and families on estate and gift tax planning and acts as independent trustee and advisor for family trusts.
Mr. O'Connell has practiced law at Rackemann since 1971.
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- Trustee, Brigham and Women's Hospital (1987 - 1996)
- Chairman, Brigham and Women's Hospital: Ventures Advisory Committee (1986 – 1997)
- Director, BWH Anesthesia Foundation, Inc. (1995 – 2000)
- Director, Brigham Surgical Group, Inc. (1996 – 2000)
- Trustee, Brigham and Women’s Physicians’ Organization (2000-present)
- Member, Harvard Medical School: Standing Committee on Conflicts of Interest (1994 – present)
- Member, Partners HealthCare System, Inc.: Committee on Professional and Institutional Conduct (1997 – 2008)
- Director, International Fund for Animal Welfare, Inc. (1998-2002)
- Chairman and Director, Operation Smile (Greater Boston Chapter) (1995-2001)
Mr. O'Connell has been a frequent lecturer and contributing author for MCLE, Federal Tax Institute and ALI/ABA programs on real estate and partnership taxation.
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyer in America, 2005-2013