Boston University School of Law
- J.D., 1985
- B.A., 1982
University of St. Andrews, Scotland
Bar and Court Admissions
- Massachusetts, 1985
Mr. James is Chairman of the firm's Affordable Housing and Community Development Practice Group. He concentrates his practice in the area of real estate development and finance with a focus on affordable housing and community development. His clients include banks and other institutional, public and quasi public lenders, towns, municipalities and local housing authorities, and for profit and non-profit developers.
Mr. James joined Rackemann in 2008 as a Director. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. James practiced as a partner at Sherin and Lodgen LLP and as an associate at Choate, Hall & Stewart in Boston.
Representation of consortium of lenders closing $20MM acquisition and construction financing for 70 unit mixed income cohousing complex.
Representation of various owners closing FHA 223(f) and 221(d)(4) loans.
Representation of institutional lenders purchasing private placement bonds and providing New Markets Tax Credit leveraged financing of various non-profit facilities.
Representation of private high school in closing $25MM tax exempt bond financing of campus expansion.
Representation of numerous for-profit and non-profit organizations in formation of joint ventures to acquire, finance, develop and operate housing and community development project.
- Real Estate Bar Association (Board and Founding Co-Chair, Affordable Housing Committee-2005-present)
- Boston Bar Association (Steering Committee and Founding Co-Chair, Affordable Housing Committee of Real Estate Section, 1999-2004)
- American Bar Association (Forum on Affordable Housing)
Mr. James' Board and Community Service Activities include:
- Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency Multifamily Advisory Committee
of Housing and Community
Development (DHCD) Preservation Regulations Advisory Committee (Member)
- Lawyers Clearinghouse, (President 2008-2009; Board Member) For More information: http://www.lawyersclearinghouse.org/
- Marblehead Community Housing Corporation (Board) (2001-2011)
- Harborlight Community Partners (Board Member; Executive Committee)
- Women's Institute for Housing and Economic Development (Advisory Board and Housing Committee)
- Town of Marblehead Planning Board Member
- Town of Marblehead Smart Growth Advisory Committee Member
- Town of Marblehead Fair Housing Committee Member
- Town of Marblehead Affordable Housing Trust (Founding Member)
- Author, “Foreclosure Practice in Massachusetts-Traps for the Unwary Lender", MLW, April, 2009
- Author, “Credit Where Credit is Due” (concerning choice and use of tax credits in development projects), MLW, December, 2006
- Co-author of Amicus Brief in Zoning Board of Appeals of Wellesley v. Ardemore Apartments Ltd. Partnership, 436 Mass. 811 (2002)
- Mr. James is a frequent moderator and panelist at affordable housing, tax credit and tax exempt bond financing and non-profit collaboration forums
Honors and Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2010-2012)