Brian Hurley is a litigation lawyer focusing on real estate-related litigation, including land use, environmental, title and title insurance claims and disputes. Brian advises institutional, commercial and individual clients on a wide variety of litigation issues and represents them in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts.
Brian is chairperson of Rackemann’s litigation department as well as a member of the firm’s executive committee.
Brian joined the firm in 1979 after serving as trial counsel in the United States Navy Judge Advocate General Corps. Before that, he clerked for the Honorable John E. Fenton, Jr. of the Trial Court.
Honors and Awards
- Selected as the The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation – Real Estate in Boston, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2018-2020
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2019
- Jury trials and jury waived cases in Superior Court, Probate Court, Land Court and various District Courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Tried several of arbitration claims involving complex construction or insurance matters.
- Tried or argued cases in Federal Courts, including a securities fraud jury trial in the U. S. District Court for Massachusetts resulting in a judgment in excess of $2 million.
- Argued cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts and the Appeals Court of Massachusetts.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Suffolk University Law School, teaching a course in trial evidence (1995-2010)
- Massachusetts Trial Court, Advisory Committee Chairman
- Town of Milton, Zoning Board of Appeals, member from 1995-2015
- Vineyard Open Land Foundation, trustee (Brian’s practice has involved a number of cases on Martha’s Vineyard)
Publications & Talks
Brian has frequently lectured on litigation matters for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Foundation, American Land Title Association, Real Estate Bar Association and National Business Institute. He has published written materials on a variety of complex litigation and real estate topics.