Maura Murphy is a business lawyer who provides general corporate and tax advice to for-profit and non-profit corporations, individuals and entities as well as employment advice to both businesses and executives. Her clients include start-up companies, small and large businesses, charitable organizations, real estate developers and corporate executives. Maura also represents both lenders and borrowers in commercial, mortgage loan, mezzanine loan, preferred equity and joint venture equity financings.
Maura joined the firm in 1989.
Maura helps clients with a wide range of complex corporate, financing, tax, governance and transactional needs, such as:
- Start-up companies, with their choice of business entity, establishment of capital structure and obtaining initial financing
- Businesses large and small in commercial transactions, including private placement of securities, asset-based financing, purchase and sale of privately owned companies, and consulting, license, joint venture and other agreements.
- Businesses and lender/investors in financing transactions, including commercial and real estate loans, joint ventures, mezzanine financing, and preferred equity,
- Charitable organizations (ranging from a local soup kitchen to a major international animal welfare organization) providing tax, employment and business advice, including obtaining and maintaining exempt status, establishing best governance practices, and complying with statutory and regulatory restrictions on lobbying and political activity, excess benefit transactions and unrelated trade or business income.
- Real estate developers in complex transactions, including joint ventures, syndication of real estate partnerships, and tax-deferred like kind exchanges
- For-profit and non-profit entities and corporate executives in including negotiating complex employment, non-competition and separation agreements, advising regarding employee termination and employment discrimination, adopting personnel policies, and responding to employee complaints.
- Real Estate Finance Association
- CREW Boston
- Boston Bar Association, Co-Chair of the Education Committee of the Tax-Exempt Organizations Section
Community Service and Pro Bono Activities
- Caritas Communities, Inc., Member and former Chair of the Board of Directors; a developer and operator of boarding houses for the working poor.
- Trustee of the Wellesley Free Library
- The Fund for Wellesley, Vice-Chair for Grants of the Community Board; an endowed fund of The Foundation for MetroWest which provides grants to nonprofits that serve the Wellesley Community
- Town Meeting Member, Wellesley, Mass.
- Town Advisory Committee, former Member and Secretary, Wellesley, Mass.
- Crossroads for Kids, Advisory Council and Urban Campfire Committee; an organization that provides camps and year-round programs for at risk youth
Publications & Talks
Maura provides frequent pro bono workshops on corporate governance for non-profit organizations through the Lawyers Clearinghouse.
Drafting Commercial Real Estate Documents in Massachusetts, MCLE, Inc. (2009, 2012, 2015), Chapter 8, Part II, Authorization, Execution and Enforceability Opinions.