Valerie Swett is a business lawyer who has experience with a wide range of real estate, corporate and individual matters, including trust and probate administration, as well as title-related matters.
In the Real Estate area, Valerie represents individuals, businesses, non-profit corporations and governmental units in various real estate-based transactions, including purchases and sales, financing arrangements, leases, 1031 exchanges, and eminent domain takings. She also works in the development of affordable housing and assists with creation of appropriate ownership entities. A title insurance agent, Swett is expert in title matters, with a particular emphasis on Nantucket titles.
Valerie’s Trusts & Estates practice focuses on representing private clients in trust and probate administration. She deals with tax and accounting issues related to such administrations and consults with fiduciaries and beneficiaries regarding trust and estates issues. She also advises clients regarding estate planning and wealth disposal issues and serves as a fiduciary for trusts and estates.
With over 40 years of experience, Valerie previously was a shareholder at Boston law firm Deutsch Williams Brooks DeRensis & Holland, P.C., where she served as Senior Managing Principal.
Honors & Awards
- Martidale Hubbell AV Preeminent (5.0/5.0) for over 20 years.
- Guide multi-generational families with planning, succession, and asset disposition or distribution
- Lead real estate practice, including all aspects of transactions and staffing/training
- Collaborate with affordable housing developer in all aspects of project concept development, permitting, title, entity formation, affordable housing tax credit syndication, condominium formation, non-discriminatory buyer selection processes, tax exempt qualification, and long term operations
- Expanded personal expertise to include trust administration, retired celebrity representation, personal office operation, and general tax by building on practice of predecessor
- Represent towns and other government bodies in eminent domain and real estate related matters
- Author all types of contracts, leases, estate planning documents, conservation restrictions, condominium and corporate organizational documents
- CREW Boston
- American Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust Section)
- Massachusetts Bar Association (Property Law and Probate Sections)
- Boston Bar Association
- Christian Legal Society
- Boston Estate Planning Council
- Women Presidents Organization Boston II Chapter
Publications & Talks
- “Illinois Attorney Discipline”, 26 DePaul Law Review 325 (1977)